Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mickey Rourke Is A Pile of Shit


First, The Wrestler:

I found the movie disappointing and supremely overrated. The existence and entire running time of the father-daughter subplot was frustratingly awful and bursting with bad cliches. His relationship with stone-cold fox Marisa Tomei did not seem believable; she was uninterested, wisely, and then suddenly in love at the end. Why? The direction was so heavy-handed, it seems director Darren Aronofsky was either way out of his element or regressing to bad film school ways.

As for Mickey's performance in the movie, it was okay. There were certainly moments I enjoyed, but, I mean, let's not forget that this guy's REAL LIFE is like this. He is a failed actor, failed boxer, twice-failed husband. He's depressed, riddled with drugs, friendless but for a dog (now dead), brain-damaged from boxing, and dresses like a retarded pimp.

Was he really acting that much in this movie? Or was he merely a great choice for the part? As much as I hate Sean Penn, I'm glad Mickey didn't win the Oscar this year.


And now, this.

Three hours? That's it? They didn't confiscate his sunglasses, jewelry, clothes...what is to be learned from this? I bet they didn't even give him a cellmate. What a fucking pointless poser.

Something tells me he wound up spending all three hours talking on his cell phone to a poodle breeder in Miami. Just a hunch...


If you still aren't convince, let's peruse his imdb entry:

- Walked off the set of Luck of the Draw (2000) when the producers refused to let him include his pet chihuahua in the movie.

- Arrested by the LAPD and charged with spousal abuse. [July 1994]

- "I thought my talent would transcend my outspokenness. I was wrong. I'm willing to give them 100 per cent this time. I just want a second chance at Hollywood." [1994]

- "I really only want to work with material that has integrity, and with actors and directors that I respect. You know, people like Tony Scott, Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino- there's a shortlist."

- Turned down Bruce Willis' role in Pulp Fiction (1994). Hmmmm...I guess a second chance at Hollywood, with Tarantino at the helm, somehow wasn't ideal? Was the money not there?

- "As long as I can work with people I'm excited about working with, it will be okay. I just can't work for the paycheck."

- Has admitted in interviews that he only did Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (1991) for the money.

- "Actors should shut up about politics, because they tend to be ill-informed finger-pointers who just cozy up to some flavor-of-the-month liberal, you know?"

- [on President George W. Bush] "George is doing a hell of a job during very difficult times, more power to him. Screw all them people who don't like him."

- [on what he wants in a woman] "It's like when I buy a horse. I don't want a thick neck and short legs."

- Kim Basinger once called him "The Human Ashtray".



Verdict?

_

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This guy's got more free passes in life than GW Bush. Saw him on Charlie Rose, talking about how he fucked up, but now he's going to appreciate his opportunities, blah blah blah. An HOUR interview in which he talked ONLY ABOUT HIMSELF. I believe the DSM-IV has a word for this...starts with an "N"..rhymes with Carcissism...