Saturday, March 13, 2010

Oh, How I Yearn for a Caveman Parliament...


I see they have the same problem across the polluted pond, as one anonymous--read: cowardly--conservative politician in the British government recently objected to an anti-poverty bill and it is now dead.

Say wha?

Well, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised, since we have discovered this year that one little prick in Congress can ostensibly shut down the entire legislative process (I'm looking at you, Jim Bunning. And you, too, Joe Lieberman. And you, too...just about every Republican Senator...).

Why is it that one person elected by the people of Kentucky or Connecticut or Leeds--or any region, for that matter--has such power over the fate of an entire nation?

It doesn't seem that far-fetched to say that Jim Bunning is more powerful than President Obama right now and what fucking sense does that make, considering the number of supporters each had in the last election?


I guess parliamentary procedure was written in stone long before it became so easy to be a lazy, sniveling, rich asshole owned by corporations and nobody ever expected it would come to this?

Could be.

Could be we're in need of some major reform--or widespread rebellion. I guess it's up to those in charge these days to choose their fate and something tells me they won't choose wisely.

Or, at the very least, one of them won't. And one person's opinion is all that matters in a democracy, right?

We're fucked.

_

No comments: