Monday, March 31, 2008

Item: Woman Afraid of a Mailbox

Los Angeles, CA (Koreatown)---Mere hours ago, on the corner of Western and Fifth Streets, a little old Korean woman hobbled toward me, thrusting a stamped envelope in my face, repeatedly saying the word 'okay' and smiling.

I pointed to the mailbox--she said 'okay.' I opened the mailbox--she said 'okay' and then dropped the envelope down its throat.

The little old Korean woman resumed pushing her shopping cart from the nearby Korean supermarket down the sidewalk. The door to the mailbox swung shut as I released my grip. The 'walk' signed lit up, and I crossed the street, chasing down a couple tacos, wondering why the old woman was afraid; have they begun the revolution? So soon? Are the mailboxes taking over?

Stay afraid, stay tuned.

No comments: