Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Assassination of the Oscar-Nominators by the Hero Goodtime Charlie

So, I have something to get off my chest, despite the fact that I hate whining:

No Oscar nomination for Brad Pitt?
No nomination for Jesse James for Best Picture?
Juno and Atonement? Really?

I mean, I realize nobody saw this movie ($3.9 million domestic, $10.2 million foreign) (budget=$30million, for those of you keeping score at home)

But nobody saw There Will Be Blood ($9.8million worldwide)
or No Country for Old Men (OK, so people actually saw this one...but still...), either. And they got nominated for all the big ones.

Can anybody in the know explain to me why this movie was so secretly released, so quickly pulled, and so glaringly ignored? It was my favorite movie of the year. And I'm a genius, so I know what I'm talking about.

Hal Holbrook for Into the Wild? Really? Really? Was that necessary? Does he have ass cancer or something? Are we supposed to feel sorry for him? Is he even an actor? What were Sean Penn's directions to him? "Act old, dude. Great, love it, print it."

No nominations for Gone Baby Gone? Despite thinking it would be a total pile of shit, due to my feelings toward Ben Affleck, this movie was great. Casey Affleck was great. The writing and directing were great. Great great great, great; great.

Maybe I should hold my own awards show this year...I'll keep all my fans out here in cyberspace posted. Assholes.

No comments: